Still Waiting…

Tuesday afternoon a call went out to the University of Utah heart transplant coordinator to get a report on the liver team’s decision. Still no word. I know this is a really big deal, and they have to follow protocol, have to make sure everything works together for her benefit, but I must not really IMG_2781understand what consideration and research they must be doing to have not reached a conclusion yet. To me, it’s a no-brainer. She needs a heart, she has to have a healthy liver to get the heart… so, give the girl the liver, too!

I’m not sure if we explained this yet or not, but we got a call last week from the heart transplant cardiologist, Dr. Nativi. He called to make sure we understood where we were with everything and our need to be patient while they get everything in order. He did make it clear that she cannot have a heart without a liver. One of the disqualifiers for a new heart is cirrhosis of the liver, which she has (even though it’s in the early stages). But, they would be able to give her a much-needed new heart if a liver was on the list too. We’re back to what we were told in the beginning, that she has to have a healthy heart and liver in order for this to work. So, it’s not just a matter of the liver team deciding what they want to do, it’s more that they have to¬†agree to do the liver transplant, too, so she can have a new heart.


So, more prayers and faith and trust and waiting patiently again, until next Tuesday…



2 thoughts on “Still Waiting…

  1. I am thinking of Sarah and your whole family Julia. You are in my heart and my prayers. I love you my friend. If there is anything I can do for you, even at the drop of a hat, I will be there for you. Let me know what I can do. And Sarah, you are amazing! May the Lord bless you.
    Debbie Lewis

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *