October 29, 2015 Sarah’s having her first UofU heart biopsy and cath this morning. She was a little nervous, but so far the experience has been much warmer, kinder, and better than we had anticipated. Praying for good results. But if not, then the ability to accept them with faith and courage. ♡
That’s what I sent out to our extended family the morning of her biopsy. Sarah suspected things weren’t quite right, but we had no idea things were…so bad. Here was the follow-up post later that day.
Sarah’s numbers from the cath indicate rejection. We don’t know what kind (cellular or antibody induced) yet, but they want to get treatment started right away. Checked into the University Med Ctr for a few days for high doses of steroids. We’ll get biopsy results later today and make a more complete plan. We’re disappointed, but very pleased with her doctors. Dr.Omar said in broken English, “Do not cry….. We will get you better.”
October 30, 2015 So, we came to the U for biopsy and clinic yesterday and ended up here. For a few days. Severe cellular rejection is the villain, Dr. Omar is our new hero. Still waiting for DSA and antibody mediated rejection results. Sporting a new PICC line, a lovely super-sized gown, and growing roid cheeks. Also, lost 4 pounds of fluid overnight. Sarah’s smile is back!
Doctor said Sarah is responding well to the medicines. Another dose of thymoglobulin (the stuff that grabs and destroys antibodies) and IV steroids today, and another one tomorrow. Planning to keep up med changes (higher doses) through the weekend and do another echo next week to recheck progress. If everything looks good, they’ll discharge her. She’ll be in for another biopsy in two weeks to check rejection again. For now, she’s feeling good, happy, and doing well at the big kid hospital.
This is the post we made for the “world” on our personal Facebook pages. It was immediately flooded with comments of support, love, and prayers on her (and our) behalf. I’m constantly amazed at the brigade of soldiers we have standing ready to offer faith, service and love.
November 1, 2015 Thursday’s heart transplant clinic didn’t go as well as we had hoped. Sarah’s biopsy and exam showed severe cellular rejection. They checked her into the hospital and immediately began treatment. She has responded well and our experiences at the big kid hospital have been good. We’ll check tomorrow and see how things look and do a biopsy again in two weeks. Her awesome doctor expects a full recovery. Counting our blessings, trusting God, and holding each other tighter.
Two days later, this was our follow-up post for our Facebook friends:
November 3, 2015 Today I’m grateful for the miracles of modern medicine. Five days ago, Sarah was checked into the hospital with labels like “severe rejection” and “acute heart failure” and today we’re taking her home. Without any IVs, oxygen, or medical equipment. Her heart is getting better and her body is no longer reacting so negatively to whatever set it off. So in a while, we take our sweetheart back home for a do-over with a truckload of medicines and hearts full of hope and gratitude.
Sarah’s going home! She’s got a bit to go before she’s all better, but definitely on the right track now. Going home today with a truckload of meds, but no oxygen, insulin or IVs. We’ll keep track of her at home in Idaho for a little while as she recovers and gets her strength back. She has another biopsy and re-check on the 12th. Thank you again for your love, faith and prayers. As Steve’s dad once said about Sarah’s journey, “Every day there’s a bump and a miracle.” Love you.
November 15, 2015 Just wanted to give a report of Sarah’s heart’s happiness level. She had another biopsy last Thursday. They found that the treatment was successful in helping to heal her rejection. It has changed from severe to moderate, an improvement we are very grateful for. They have decided to keep her on the increased doses of meds for the next month to continue this trend. They plan to do another biopsy in December, about a month from now. The doctor gave her permission to go back to school, where we hope she will be able to make up enough assignments to finish out the next 4 weeks of her semester successfully. We pray for this, as well as her good health in a more immunosuporessed lifestyle, continued healing of her heart, and of course, the intense gratitude we have for her new heart and second chance at life. ♡ Thank you so much for your love and prayers.
- October 29 Biopsy results: C5 V2 ISHLT3R pAMR2
- November 12 Biopsy Results: C3 V3 ISHLT3R pAMR2
- December 28 Biopsy Results: C2 V3 ISHLT0R pAMR2
- January 26 Biopsy Results: C2 V2 ISHLT0R pAMR0